Skip to main content
Newcastle Building Society - Home

We're sorry, but our website is not compatible with the browser you are using.

To get the best experience we would strongly advise using a more recent and compatible browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge or iOS Safari.

Giving someone access to your account, and the right to operate it, is an important decision but it could be essential for your future wellbeing. 

It could also give you and your nominated person peace of mind that everything is being looked after. There is also help available should you lose mental capacity and someone is required to be appointed on your behalf.

There are different types of access:

  • Temporary Support for transactions and account management
  • Power of Attorney & Court of Protection
Temporary Support for transactions and account management

Is it possible for somebody else other than account holders to transact on my account on my behalf?

  • In branch

Yes, in order for a third party transaction to be processed in branch, an Authority to Withdraw form (available in branch) is required, and must be completed by the account holder(s).

If you do not have access to a form, a letter of authority from the account holder can be accepted. The letter will need to state the third party’s name who is making the transaction and we will also require proof of identification for this person. Please ensure the letter states the account holder’s name and address, the account number, the amount required and also ensure that the letter is signed and dated. Cash withdrawals are limited to £100, but there is no stated limit for cheque withdrawals. Where a cheque withdrawal is requested, this will be posted to the account holder and also the passbook / passcard.

  • Over the telephone

We are able to speak to another person on an account holder’s behalf over the telephone provided we have been able to confirm data protection security with the account holder. 

This security measure would be required each time a telephone call is made.

Power of Attorney & Court of Protection

Power of Attorney is a legal document where one person (the donor) gives someone they trust (the attorney) the right to make decisions on their behalf and in their best interests. It can only be set up whilst the donor still has mental capacity to make decisions.

The Office of the Public Guardian polices the activities of Attorneys, Deputies & Guardians who act on behalf of an individual who lacks capacity to make their own decisions.

We have developed a helpful guide, which explains in more depth Power of Attorney, Court of Protection and other aspects of third party support.  

An application to become a Deputy on behalf of someone is necessary when they lack mental capacity and a Power of Attorney was not set up prior to this occurring. 

This means they cannot make a decision for themselves at the time it needs to be made. They may still be able to make decisions for themselves at certain times.

People may lack mental capacity because, for example:

  • they’ve had a serious brain injury or illness
  • they have dementia
  • they have severe learning disabilities

As a Deputy, you’ll be authorised by the Court of Protection to make decisions on their behalf

The Court of Protection have guidance available for you should you wish to learn more about the application process and what is entailed:

Deputies: make decisions for someone who lacks capacity - GOV.UK (

The services promoted on this page are not regulated by the Prudential Regulation Authority nor the Financial Conduct Authority.

To enquire about registering Power of Attorney or Court of Protection on behalf of an existing customer or to make an application for a new account please call us or visit us in branch.

Branch colleague on Stokesley high street holding a coffee

Need some help?

Pop in to your local branch or give us a call, we're always happy to chat.

0345 734 4345

Our lines are open Monday to Friday from 8am - 6pm. We're closed on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays.