Skip to main content
Newcastle Building Society - Home

We're sorry, but our website is not compatible with the browser you are using.

To get the best experience we would strongly advise using a more recent and compatible browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge or iOS Safari.


We realise that when someone dies it is a very emotional time for all involved and it can often be overwhelming. 

As well as the sadness of losing someone close, there’s often a seemingly bewildering amount of paperwork that needs to be dealt with.  

Helping you deal with bereavement

Our bereavement guide helps to explain some of the things that need to be done regarding the finances of the person who has passed away. We hope it will make at least a small difference and help you cut through some of the paperwork.

It also gives you practical information on how to notify and confirm a death, what happens to someone’s accounts when they die, what you’ll need to close their accounts and how to get help with funeral costs. 

To ensure we keep things as simple as possible for you, we’re always looking for ways to improve and simplify our procedures. Due to some recent enhancements, our bereavement guide is currently being updated. While we complete these changes, please feel free to contact us for any questions you have about dealing with a bereavement.

We’re here to help 

What we need to register the death

In order to register the death of one of our customers and confirm you as the personal representative we will require the following:

  • Original death certificate
  • Completed Personal Representative form
  • A copy of your passport or driving licence

If you do not have the original death certificate we can also accept the following:

  • Death certificate verification form (from your solicitors – England and Wales only)
  • Original interim death certificate
  • A certified copy of the death certificate i.e. ‘Entry Pursuant to the Births and Death Registration Act 1953 Certificate’ or an ‘Extract of an Entry in a Register of Death’ obtained from a coroner’s office (Scotland only)

If you do not have any of the documentation detailed above please contact us so we can have a look at alternative options.

What you need to send us depends on the total savings the customer held.

Joint holder investment accounts

The account(s) will remain open in the sole name of the surviving account holder.

Any joint accounts will automatically transfer to the surviving account holder under the law of survivorship. We will amend the joint account(s) once the death has been registered and Probate will not be required as part of this process.

Sole holder investment accounts

Account balances

Once we have received the Personal Representative form, identification and death certificate we will be able to confirm the account balances.

Accessing the funds

Should you require access to the funds held in the account for funeral costs, Inheritance Tax or probate registration fees, please complete and send to us the Request for Funds to Cover Costs form along with copies of the invoices and we will make arrangements to pay these from the funds held in the accounts.

How to close the account

In order to close the account, please complete the relevant sections of the Request to Close Account form. The first page explains which sections you will need to complete and any supporting documentation that is required.


Please note: If the total balance of all of the late customer's accounts is in excess of £30,000 we must see an original copy of the Grant of Probate / Letters of Administration / Certificate of Confirmation together with this completed form before we can close any accounts.

Documentation should be taken to your nearest branch or sent to our Head Office addressed to the Mortgage Operations or Investment Services Department, depending on whether they had a mortgage or savings account with us, at:

Newcastle Building Society  
1 Cobalt Park Way
NE28 9EJ

We hope it will make at least a small difference and help you cut through some of the paperwork. If you need any further information please do not hesitate to call us on 0345 734 4345. Lines are open 8am - 6pm Monday to Friday, or call into your local branch.

Inheritance ISA allowance

Under previous guidelines, money saved into an ISA could lose its tax-free status upon the owner’s death. However, in April 2015, this was re-evaluated. Now, you can benefit from your partner’s savings thanks to the inheritance ISA allowance. Find out more

Free Bereavement Notification Service via Co-op Legal Services

We believe it’s important that families have free access to good quality support and guidance they can trust at such a difficult time.

Newcastle Building Society introduces to Co-op Legal Services, who can offer you a free to use Bereavement Notification Service.  Co-op can provide you with free practical support and guidance with a range of issues from stopping mail to preparing letters for other banks, insurers and pension providers. Find out more about this service.

In addition the Co-op have also provided an Executor hub which is here: In partnership with Newcastle Building Society ( You can find a number of guides to help you with being an executor of a will, which may be of use to you.

The Newcastle Building Society is an introducer to Co-op Legal Services for Probate Services and Bereavement Notification Services.  The Newcastle Building Society will receive a fee for referrals to Co-op Legal Services.

Co-op Legal Services offers a national service across England and Wales and can assist with a range of legal services including probate and estate administration, and Bereavement advice and support.  No Co-op membership is required.

The Co-operative Legal Services and Co-op Legal Services are trading names for Co-operative Legal Services Limited, Company Number 05671209.  Co-op Legal Services is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority under registration number 567391.  The registered office is 1 Angel Square, Manchester M60 0AG. The professional rules are set out in the SRA Code of Conduct. This service is not regulated by the by the Prudential Regulation Authority or the Financial Conduct Authority.